dependable, committed senior writer, editor, web content manager, marketing writing consultant ... writing is my life!
freelance instructor/writer/editor/project manager
Contract Writer . Freelancer . Houston TX, Taos & Albuquerque NM, Gulfport MS
Christina Nealson Photography . Taos Sage Waters Healing & Transformation . Oso Vista Ranch Retreat, Web Writing & Site Building . Dawn Ireland, Book Promotion, Hot Chocolate Blog . DownUnda Aquatic Environments, Web Writing, Blogging, Editing . Dr. Bera Dordoni: BASTIS Foundation Website & Marketing . Chris McKerracher Comedy Site Consulting . Connie Anderson Photography, PR Writing . Nancy Wallace: Wake Up Now Conference & School of Now, Websites & Marketing . Laura McNitt, Sanctuary Bath Salts Web Site . Salt Lamps Now Web Site . Dr. John Lerma, Writing & Editing . Claire Papin, Web Site & Writing Instruction & Editing . New Era Times, Traveler's Dream Column . Exxon Mobil Training Manuals, Writing & Editing . Indigo Sun Magazine, Freelance Spiritual Articles/Column . Michael Wisotzky, Blog Instruction and Setup . Carmel Temple, Social Media Marketing . Dr. Dan Mathews, Holy Divine Healing Website . Connie Mazzella, Art Glass Magic Web Site Instruction . Edie Premazon, Getting Past No, Training Materials Graphics & Editing . Heather Anne Harder, Wikipedia Bio . Jonathon Kaye, Marketing Consulting & Editing Marketing Materials . Janice Terra, Horse Whisperer, Fund Raising Website . Maria Cummings, Transformations by Maria, P.R. Writing & Editing . Lynard Stroud, Art Marketing, Fine Art America Site . Elizabeth Jose, Art Marketing Consulting, Fine Art America.
- Currently proofing novels (mysteries, paranormal, and spirituality) and spiritual how-to books and memoirs.
- Editor|Publisher of Houston Spirituality Magazine online, 2018-Present. Click to read.
- Independently taught groups/individuals to “Build Your Own FREE Website” to train entrepreneurs to build, maintain and market their business sites (2010-). Also taught "How to Make Money Blogging."
- Taos News, interviewed subjects, concepted and wrote dozens of success stories, business profiles and (2008-2009). Samples: http://writingmuse.com/writing-samples.php
- Edited website copy for Horse Fly, created, pitched, wrote & managed a Healing Arts section called Taos Butterfly. Responsible for marketing and creating a healing arts community with the Taos Butterfly blog (2008-2009. Samples: http://writingmuse.com/writing-samples.php
- Wrote and edited training, marketing and web content for a variety of clients (samples available).
- Wrote and edited educational materials; three years of training manuals; four foundation schools, and 6 self training modules on contract for ExxonMobil Training Dept (2002-2010).
- Wrote Idea Advertising Group financial marketing collateral, P.R., articles and Web content (2003-2004).
- Edited four novels and one how-to book and marketed a book of short stories online.
- Ghost-wrote two books of short stories and multiple magazine articles.
- Created, wrote and managed multiple websites for artists, tech groups and financial consultants.
- Sanctuary Retreat Center . Managed and Marketed Halfway House for the Spiritually Awakening
talent manager/marketing writer . employed by ART SQUAD/Imprimis . Creative Staffing Solutions
October 1999 to May 2002, Houston, Texas
- Reviewed thousands of websites and writing and graphic portfolios, selected candidates for placement, and managed creative projects.
- Interviewed and hired creative personnel including graphic designers, production artists, marketing project managers, writers, Web designers and developers. Matched skills and personalities to open contract and direct hire positions.
- Explored creative staffing needs of corporate clients and developed a broad-range database of personnel to provide flexible staff. Maintained client contacts, bid projects, developed budgets for creative departments. Staffed entire creative departments, and educated clients on using temps and full-time hires.
- Wrote and posted recruitment ads and expanded Houston branding efforts.
publications manager/marketing writer . VALIC . Retirement Services Division of American General
September 1998 to October 1999, Houston, Texas http://www.sandypenny.com/valic-writing-samples.php
- Created and project-managed four-color printed employee quarterly and the employee communications intranet site for over 5000 employees. Communicated company benefits, employee recognition and corporate culture.
- Created editorial calendars and maintained two electronic publications, one for employees and one for
- educational customers.
- Working directly with top executives and fund managers, wrote, edited, art directed and project managed six financial quarterly magazines for over two million retirement investing clients.
- Budgeted for and reduced the production costs on all publications. Saved company over $50,000/year on publications through converting them to internet based content.
- Redesigned the top three publications to be warmer and more user friendly based on conducting surveys and gathering input from end users from several large investor segments including government, education, banking and industrial unions.
- Maintained company-wide boilerplate database to ensure consistency and written compliance with SEC regulations, style manuals and corporate branding requirements.
1995 to 1998, Houston, Texas
- Publications/Newsletter Specialist and Freelance Graphics – Writing/Editing/Design.
- Conducted Positive Living and Community Building Workshops.
publications manager/marketing writer . Distribution International
October 1990 to January 1995, Houston, Texas
- Worked directly with executives: designed, conceptualized, wrote, edited and project managed all public and employee information and executive presentations, including complete responsibility for the Distributor, a magazine for employees, customers and vendors of this leading distributor of industrial insulation and environmental/safety products.
- Wrote industry journal articles under the name of the company president, quality process information, technical articles, conducted interviews and created product information and brochures.
graphics manager . Associated Printing and Graphics
December 1988 to June 1990, Houston, Texas
- Designed, wrote, edited and coordinated production of advertising, forms and commercial printed materials for clients.
- Also priced, estimated, project managed, quality controlled, and press proofed color work.
- Special projects: redesigned, edited and managed Scientific Sounds, the Curtin Matheson Scientific newsletter.
managing editor/owner . Family & Friends & The Rising Sun Newspapers
November 1979 to December 1988
- Created two monthly tabloid style publications, one aimed at kids and parents, one at alternative thinkers
- Full responsibility for budgets, conceptualizing issues, selecting and editing articles for target market, layout, paste-up, distribution, and advertising/group subscription sales development. Interfaced with printers, typesetters, vendors, advertising reps and clients. Conducted interviews, wrote editorials, features, press releases and ad copy. Developed advertising and distribution.
report editor . Exxon Production Research
Long Term Contract Position through Houston Temps
May 1981 to November 1983
- Edited, proofed and coordinated printing and distribution of Petroleum Geochemistry reports for
education . MacMurray College, Jacksonville, Illinois
- Liberal Arts, general study
- On-the-job training, corporate education and industry experience equivalent to master of marketing/communications.